How many places are on offer?
Building a friendship relationship with an isolated older person to help them improve their physical and mental well-being and their self esteem.
Building a friendship relationship with an isolated older person can really help to improve their physical and mental well-being and their self esteem.
- Visiting an older person regularly to create an enjoyable and supportive relationship
- Listening, sharing your experiences and hearing about those of the older person you're getting to know (likely over a cup of tea)
- Treating what you see and hear as confidential and sensitive
- Keeping us up to date with how visits are going at regularly support sessions and reporting anything of concern
- Keeping your skills and knowledge up to date by taking part in relevant training and attending one of our networking events each year
- Reading and following our policies and procedures - designed to keep you and the older person we support safe and happy. We've got guidance around safeguarding, lone working, confidentiality and role boundaries to help with this. We'll ask you to sign to say that you understand them.
-Representing the charity well to the wider public
Skills and Qualifications:
- Enjoy meeting a diverse range of people and helping others
- An interest in older people and the issues of later life
- Reliability, consistency and dependability
- Good conversational and listening skills with a clear speaking voice - some of the older people we support have low level hearing loss
- Patience, empathy and a non-judgemental attitude
- The ability to work independently but also stay within the role's boundaries - recognising what should and shouldn't be done and when to seek advice or report concerns.
- Other languages - we're very interested to hear from other language speakers as some of those we support don't speak English as their first language.
- Your own transport in areas where there is no public transport and use of own mobile telephone whilst out on visits.
- IT skills are desirable
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.