How many places are on offer?
We are looking for friendly people to perform a variety of visitor-facing roles within our museum. This can range between serving on the front desk, to providing demonstrations and answering questions in our galleries, to selling goods in our small charity shop.
Our museum is open at weekends and bank holidays and our volunteers are always on hand to provide a unique experience for our visitors, both entertaining and educational.
This role has a minimum commitment of 1 day or 2 half days per month, which will normally be on weekends when we are open to the public.
Volunteers are also welcome to attend during our maintenance and project sessions on Thursday afternoons.
Benefits to you:
- Learn about Nottinghamshire’s industrial heritage, the people who lived and worked in the county, and their place in the industrial revolution
- Keep active and engaged with a key part of the Nottingham community
- Meeting new people and having opportunities to socialise with fellow volunteers at events – you will be a part of a community of volunteers of all ages and backgrounds
- Develop your skills in customer service, teamwork, communication and other key workplace skills
- Build your experience of working in museums, heritage and visitor engagement
- Increase your employability through training in a variety of key skills
- Opportunities for further involvement with the museum – including archiving and collections care, events, administration and community outreach
- Free entry to the museum and museum events
- Supporting a worthwhile charity – educating the public about Nottinghamshire’s history!
- References can be given for all volunteers who volunteer regularly for 6 months.
Skills and Qualifications:
A good standard of spoken English
Basic numeracy and IT knowledge
Outgoing and happy to talk to and work with people from a variety of backgrounds
Proactive and positive nature
Genuine interest in providing an excellent visitor experience
Reliable, well-presented, friendly and polite
Comfortable working as part of a team; supporting and listening to other volunteers
Museum or customer service experience.
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.
Please talk to us about your access needs
We will try to respond to volunteer enquiries within one week