How many places are on offer?
At least 14. Initially we would like to have 2 Poolside Helpers at each Leisure Centre.
The role of a Swim Activator is to assist individuals who may want some support to access swimming opportunities at local leisure centres.
Your volunteering will help to get people involved in swimming activities that they might never have had the chance to do without your support.
The role would involve tasks such as:
- Be on the side of the pool to support swimmers to enjoy their swimming session
- Help to build the confidence of the individual, motivate them and assist with overcoming any barriers they may encounter
- Be a welcoming point of contact for people accessing the session
- Other tasks as necessary to make swimming sessions run smoothly
What could you get out of it:-
- Experience of supporting people
- There is a possibility that you may be able to access training in poolside skills such as teaching or lifesaving
- Potential opportunity for funding towards a swim teacher qualification (funding permitting)
Skills and Qualifications:
Volunteers will need an interest in helping people to get the most from their swimming sessions.
You will need to be:
- Flexible and adaptable
- A team member
You will also need to have some interest in swimming. You will not be involved in life guarding or swimming instruction.
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.
This opportunity is accessible for disabled people, but please bear in mind that you will be supporting another person to access swimming activities
Induction and training covers all information, policies, procedures, boundaries, paperwork needed to begin the role.