How many places are on offer?
No Set Limit
If only these walls could talk! That’s why our guides make such a difference welcoming, engaging and inspiring our supporters, sharing their passion and helping visitors to understand The Workhouse and telling its stories - past, present and future.
By getting involved, you could:
* Get to know The Workhouse and Firbeck Infirmary and learn its secrets
* Use your people skills to welcome and inspire visitors from all over the world
* Be part of a varied and enthusiastic team and make new friends
* Spend time in rooms brimming with history
* Be familiar with and follow the National Trust's strategy, values and behaviours, internal policies and training programmes
* Welcome every visitor, you never know who might walk through our doors with a new workhouse story
* Learn more about The Workhouse and Firbeck Infirmary, so you can share all its special stories
* Help visitors to discover more, making suggestions so they can enjoy their day, their way
* Help if people ask, and thinking about the needs of all visitors, including people with disabilities and families
* Help visitors understand why we need to take care of special places and, if needs be, raising any concerns you have with staff
* Get to know health and safety and evacuation procedures
* There might be some other activities that are of interest to you, that we could use your help with.
We’ll help you get to know Room Guiding at The Workhouse, how you can help and how you will work with the rest of the team with induction and training.
We’ll also cover agreed costs of your travel between home and The Workhouse site.
Skills and Qualifications:
This role will suit you if you are...
* Full of enthusiasm, hoping to inspire visitors of all ages and backgrounds
* Someone who loves being around people - you’ll meet a lot each day!
* Interested in The Workhouse and Firbeck Infirmary - you don’t need to know everything, but as a room guide you’ll pick up lots of facts and figures and stories along the way
* Available at least once a fortnight
A good memory for facts and figures
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.
Age 10 to 90 (Under 18 with parental consent)
Ramps to the ground floor, lift in Firbeck House