How many places are on offer?
We are currently looking for night volunteers to assist us in delivering a safe environment in the Winter Night Shelter for the Homeless
This is a new role that will require one volunteer to sleep over at the shelter each night and only respond to any emergency situations as directed by the two waking night support workers. You will also be volunteering in the evening with 4 other volunteers to provide the shelter guests with refreshments, assisting with residents belongings and signing them in which will all be supervised by staff members. There will also be time to socialize with the shelter guest where you can play games and chat. Below is some of the responsibilities and core duties that will be part of your role.
Responsibilities and core duties
- To provide sleep in cover, overnight at the shelter between 20.30 and 07.00.
- To assist the support staff in critical situations such as medical emergencies
- To assist the support staff in a smooth and safe running of the night shelter including:
- To sign in and store residents belongings and alcohol appropriately
- Check in all service users each night along side a staff member
- To help in all areas of the shelter such as: in the kitchen, cleaning or moving service user and shelter property
- To immediately report any concerns to a paid member of staff
- To maintain positive and supportive relationships with other staff members and volunteers
- Report all incidents and accidents to manager/senior support worker
- To adhere to the policies and procedures of Emmanuel House
- To be willing to undergo a DBS check
- To undertake training as directed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Be confident, approachable, open and friendly with people
- To be able to carry out a role in an environment that can make a number of demands on you at the same time
- To be able to be circumspect and attentive in a busy environment
- To be able to respond efficiently and politely to people
- To be able to deal with different requests simultaneously
- Good interpersonal skills
- To be able to respond appropriately to emergency situations such making calls to emergency services.
- To be able to work well with in a team
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.