How many places are on offer?
3 initially but this team will grow as the project expands - please get in touch.
The REACH programme aims to engage with young women, girls and their families to support them through the issues that life throws at young people. You can help them to achieve great things by sharing some of your experience with them as a mentor.
The REACH programme aims to engage with young women, girls and their families to support them through the issues that life throws at young people. It aims to focus on targeted outreach support for young women and single mothers to encourage them into education and employment by providing long-term support.
You can help these young women to achieve great things by sharing some of your experience with them as a mentor.
You will receive thorough training and all the support you need to:
* Take the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing, one-on-one relationship.
* Serve as a positive role model
* Build the relationship by planning and participating in activities together.
* Strive for mutual respect
* Build self-esteem and motivation
* Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them.
Skills and Qualifications:
You will need to:
* Be self-motivated, reliable and organised
* Have, or develop, active listening skills
* Enjoy relating to young people and establishing a good rapport
* Have relevant knowledge and experience to provide the right level of support
* A good level of written communication skills that include writing CVs, etc.
* Be flexible
* Have patience
* Be able to inspire and motivate young people
If you don't have all of these skills at the start,, the mentor training will help you to develop them. Once you are trained, you will be introduced to a young person whose needs match your skills.
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.
You must be over 18
This role is open only to women. However, Chayah Project has a mentor role open to both men and women.
This will depend on the venue(s) for your mentor sessions
You will receive a thorough induction to the organisation and to mentoring that will include accredited mentor training.