How many places are on offer?
By fixing repairable items and helping to put them back into everyday use, you will directly prevent unnecessary landfill and CO2 emissions. Repairing and extending the life cycle of our possessions is a key tool in the fight to prevent damaging climate change.
We will take donations of broken or unloved items which you will return to their former glory using your repair skills and experience. We will then sell these items to new owners and reinvest all profits to help train and eventually employ local people to work alongside our volunteers.
Initially you will need your own workspace/tools and will carry out all repairs/testing from there (probably at home). Once complete other volunteers will handle the sales and you will move onto your next repair job. There is no minimum time commitment required, we are grateful for what you can spare.
- A network of other Fixers/Repair Technicians connected via WhatsApp group.
- A quarterly team meeting/All Hands followed by a social event.
- A Volunteer Experience Champion.
- Insurance Cover provided.
- Be part of a community of like-minded individuals.
- Learn news skills/keep the ones you have fresh, challenge yourself to solve new technical problems.
- Directly contribute to preventing the climate crisis.
- Directly contribute to local social change and providing a second chance to people who need it.
Skills and Qualifications:
Driving license and transportation a bonus.
Electrical repair/safety testing qualifications/experience strongly preferred.
We plan to focus on low tech household items but still, some experience of electrical repairs/safety testing or qualifications will be important. Would suit retired individuals who may have spent a career building skills in this area or someone in the process of qualifying looking to build their practical experience alongside a community of experts.
Eventually we plan to employ and train local people needing a second chance to get back on the ladder. If you choose to get involved in this aspect you will need good coaching/people skills and a willingness to share what you know.
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.
But you will need experience
We will try to respond to volunteer enquiries within 48 hours
This will be at you own pace, but should be complete within a couple of sessions