How many places are on offer?
Best Foot Forward provides a series of free, accessible, guided health walks around open spaces in Nottingham. Walks are designed to encourage a healthy lifestyle through exercise and social interaction. The walks offer the opportunity to improve health, make new friends, have fun and get to know your local environment. This volunteer role offers you the chance to make a difference to an older person's life, and ensure your volunteering experience is a fulfilling and positive one.
What is the purpose of this role?
To support people aged 18+ in the community by leading a series of guided walks around open spaces in Nottingham city
What impact does this role have?
Provides a series of free, accessible, guided health walks around open spaces in Nottingham. Walks are designed to encourage a healthy lifestyle through exercise and social interaction.
What activities might you be involved in?
• Welcoming walkers to the walks, particularly new walkers
• Giving a brief talk before the walk to make sure everyone is prepared
• Making sure paperwork like registration forms and registers are completed
• Leading and managing walks, usually jointly with other walk leaders (including “back marking or “middle marking” as well as leading at the front)
• Making sure walks are welcoming, friendly, enjoyable and safe
• Trouble shooting and dealing with problems on walks, with the support of your scheme coordinator
• Providing information about other Age UK Notts services and other walks offered by the scheme, and basic information about how to keep active
• Attending occasional walk leaders’ meetings, one to one meetings and relevant training
• Staying in touch with the latest news and guidance from your scheme and Walking for Health
When would you be needed to volunteer?
The needs of the role and your availability will be discussed at interview but we would like you to be available for about three hours a week as a minimum commitment
What can you gain from this opportunity?
• The chance to make a difference to an older person’s life
• Ongoing support, ensuring your volunteering experience is a fulfilling and positive one
• A comprehensive training programme
• The opportunity to learn new skills
• Experience to add to your CV
• The opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
• Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses as defined in the Age UK Notts Volunteer Handbook
Skills and Qualifications:
Friendly, welcoming and empowering with good communication skills
Knowledgeable about the basics of the benefits of walking and physical activity
Reliable, punctual, honest and well-organised
Able to volunteer independently but with guidance and support
Confident at speaking in front of small groups
Able to take control and be assertive when needed
Ability to provide basic paperwork punctually and accurately
Ability to commit to at least 1 walk per week and / or cover walks at short notice
This grid shows when you can volunteer for this opportunity.
Within 2 weeks
You will be given all the training you need to enable you to carry out your role. There is an application form, DBS & references